Are you looking for an easy and convenient way to change the decoration of your home? Would you like to renovate and modernize your living room, but don’t know which technique to use? How about trying an alternative to paint to cover the walls?
A wallpaper is an easy and affordable solution to renovate your living room.
Also, it offers a wide variety of designs to match any decorative style.
How to decorate a living room with wallpaper? Which walls to place it on?
If you want to know how to decorate your living room with a wallpaper, the most important thing is to understand where it is appropriate to use this decorative element.
You have three options:
- Main wall. This is an excellent idea: usually, this wall is the first wall you see when you enter the living room, so it has a lot of ability to create an immediate visual impact.
- Behind the sofa. Placing a wallpaper behind the sofa provides an eye-catching decorative backdrop, highlighting the piece of furniture and the room in general. Thanks to this location, you can keep the rest of the walls in light or neutral tones, achieving an attractive visual balance and avoiding overloading the space.
- Side wall. If you want to add a soft touch to your living/dining room, place a wallpaper on one of the side walls. You’ll add a touch of color and give the room a fresh, new look without cluttering it. Choosing a second wall also allows you to combine the wallpaper with the rest of the decorative elements in a cohesive and harmonious way.
Other things you should consider before choosing which wall in the living room to put wallpaper on are:
- If you are going to wallpaper the TV wall, choose minimalist prints and light colors to avoid obstructing the view.
- Wallpapering two walls gives a sense of continuity and spaciousness, and is a possibility that should be considered in small or angular living rooms.
- Avoid putting it on walls with windows or balconies, since, apart from being more work, the wallpaper has less visibility there.
→ You may be interested in: Tips for decorating your home walls with wallpaper
Is it a good idea to put wallpaper in the living room?
The living room is one of the most used spaces in any home, and also one of the spaces that best defines the decorative style of our house.
El papel pintado tiene fuerza en la decoración de hogares, experimentando cierto revival y con una versión mucho más moderna que encaja prácticamente con cualquier estancia de la casa, incluidos dormitorios, baños, cocinas y, por supuesto, comedores y salones.
The wallpaper is very popular in home decoration, and is experiencing some sort of revival with a much more modern version that fits almost any room in the house, including bedrooms, bathrooms, kitchens and, of course, dining rooms and living rooms.
Some of the benefits of putting a wallpaper in the living room include:
Wallpapers give you the opportunity to embellish your living room in a different way, making it the best way to give style to the walls.
Some models simulate marble, wood or metal giving a more noble touch to the room, while others are more fun and casual, according to the decorative trends of the moment.
You can also create optical effects, and imitate textures and patterns. In the PATTERN collection you can find some inspiration.
Versatility and adaptability
One of the advantages of a wallpaper is its wide variety of colors, shades and designs, which makes it easy to adapt to any style.
In fact, it can be combined, without too much effort, with furniture, flooring, decorative elements, etc.
Used as a decorative tool, wallpapers are a good alternative to generate balance, create contrast or provide luminosity.
Decorating a living room with wallpaper allows you to create inspiring atmospheres as well as play with the distribution of spaces.
It can even be combined with walls covered with wood panels such as SPLIT.
Today’s wallpapers are very resistant, which guarantees their durability over time.
They are also easy to clean and maintain (some, such as vinyl, are even washable).
This means that they can last for many years without deteriorating and without needing to be replaced.
Fast and economical results
In addition to creating themes and offering an original aesthetic, a wallpaper is easy and quick to install, and it is possible to cover all the walls of a room or only some of them without investing a large amount of money.
Thanks to its easy installation, if we get tired of the design, we can replace it with another one without great complications.
Which type of wallpaper fits best in the living room of a house?
There are different types of wallpaper on the market.
Vinyl wallpapers have a waterproof vinyl top layer, which makes them 100% washable and more resistant to steam, heat, humidity, sunlight, and scratches.
They are especially recommended for bathrooms and kitchens.
TNT (non-woven fabric) wallpapers have a textile base (cellulose and polyester fibers) and an acrylic vinyl top layer.
They are breathable and washable, and are suitable for areas of the house with high foot traffic.
Finally, a traditional wallpaper has a single layer of paper.
Generally, the dining room of a house is considered a high traffic area and at risk of scratches, so it is recommended to choose a vinyl or TNT wallpaper, and always of high quality.
Regarding the wallpaper design for your dining room, it depends on your taste and the decorative style of your home!
Natural prints are trendy and bring freshness to the walls, while floral patterns (options such as NATURE), although more classic, they fit with more relaxed environments where pastel tones are the protagonists.
Vertical stripes and plain wallpapers, with textures or geometric figures, are timeless and never go out of fashion, while other more abstract finishes are ideal for a striking and modern decoration.
At L’Antic Colonial we have a large catalog of wallpapers for living rooms. Check them out on our website.